Rehab is short for rehabilitation. The purpose of drug rehab programs and alcohol rehab programs is to help the individual deal with their lives without drugs or alcohol. It is important to understand that drug or alcohol detox programs must be done before you can start any type of drug or alcohol rehab program.
Drug or alcohol rehab programs are either inpatient or outpatient.
The best inpatient and outpatient drug and alcohol rehab programs:
- Are between 30 days and 120 days in length but some require weekly attendance at meetings for the rest of the individual’s life
- Ask the individual to take personal responsibility for their drug or alcohol use
- Assist the individual to find how they were using drugs or alcohol to avoid responsibility
- Help the individual to work out a program to address the problems their drug and alcohol use created for others
- Help the individual work out a program to remedy the problems that they created for others while using drugs or alcohol
- Teach social skills
- Teach self-control
- Help the individual work out a program to achieve the goals and purposes that have been stopped because of their use of drugs or alcohol.